From: "Diana Gale Matthiesen" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Naming Family Finder Projects
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 09:32:22 -0500

Hello Tim,

I agree that the useful atDNA haplogroup projects are going to be ones based on
relatively recent SNP mutations possessed by relatively small groups of
individuals.

My view on autosomal testing, like my view on DNA testing, in general, is
undoubtedly affected by a larger perspective of mine: I'm looking for my
family's ancestors, not its living relatives, beyond the ones I've already
identified "the old fashioned way" (via paper genealogy).

When I first started doing the family genealogy, I made it one of my goals to
find all the descendants of one of my immigrant ancestors (Daniel McCRAY). It
wasn't long before I realized how *many* descendants he must have and what a
huge undertaking it would be -- and for what? Doing so wasn't going to tell me
one thing new about my ancestry or his, so I abandoned the project. I'm
similarly not interested in atDNA projects aimed at finding all the descendants
of one couple. It's the kind of thing genealogists have long done (e.g., family
associations), and more power to anyone who wants to do it, but belonging to one
is just not a goal of mine.

I'm afraid you may find there are others like me who tested their atDNA
primarily for medical reasons and/or out of sheer curiosity. My apologies to
those whom I frustrate, but I'm just not interested in contacting the cousins
who show up in Relative Finder. I'm unlikely to join an atDNA project, unless I
could somehow see it helping me with my paper genealogy the way Y-DNA testing
does.

What I'm really looking forward to is a much larger mtDNA FGS database, to find
matches supporting the matrilineal lines in my pedigree.

Diana