From: Larry Vick <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Naming Family Finder Projects
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 06:50:39 -0800 (PST)

Diana,

I think Relative Finder and Family Finder could help us find the missing surnames of females in our pedigree (and not just the ones in our matrilineal pedigree).  I know much more about the males in my pedigree than I know about the females because I know a much higher percentage of the surnames of the males than the females.  Without the surname it is hard to trace an ancestor’s family.

I have been keeping track of common matches among our VICK and Allied Families DNA Project members, and I am especially interested when the shared segment appears to be identical.  My hope is that these patterns will help us to isolate a shared line and to find missing surnames.  Unfortunately, it all depends upon people sharing information.  Perhaps the next generation tools will make it easier to predict the lines we share with other people.

Regards,

Larry