From: "Ian Logan" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] mtDNA Coding Region Concern
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 20:39:14 -0000

Hello Rick & Other List Members

This is always a interesting point - and well worth discussing once again.

The simple answer remains: If all your mutations are 'common' then there is nothing to worry about.

But if you have 'uncommon' mutations, especially if they are in the 'tRNA' sections, then a link to
disease is possible.

It is also important to consider the significance of 'heteroplasmy' - as this is now being reported
by FTDNA.

However, let me not overstate the risk:
If you and your family are fit and well (i.e. not being followed for mitochondrial disease, or an
unattributable disease)
and, the tests are being done for genealogy, then the risk is VERY SLIGHT indeed.

Should you want to look for disease-associations yourself; see
http://www.mitomap.org/MITOMAP/MutationsCodingControl
But, be warned, the list is daunting, somewhat technical, and possibly out-of-date.

However, if you want advice, then Ann Turner and myself are both available.

Speaking just for myself, I am always happy to comment on the significance of mutations.
And, if a submission file for GenBank is wanted, I am happy to make one.

Ian
www.ianlogan.co.uk

Good morning list,

I would like to publish my mtDNA Coding Region test results on my web site and elsewhere (like
DNA-fingerprint) but I have read several articles implying that would not be advisable because of
the medical information the results might contain. Is there a way to determine if my mtDNA coding
region contains mutations that reveals one or more possible harmful medical conditions?

I am not concerned for myself so much but rather for my younger siblings and two sons. As I
understand mtDNA (which may or may not be correct), I cannot pass on to my sons, the mtDNA that I
received from my mother so that should not be a concern. Is that a good statement? However by
revealing my mtDNA, I will also be revealing the possible mtDNA of my younger brothers. Is that also
a good statement?

Any advise and words of wisdom you care to offer will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Rick Chancey Y-Search JTGW4

This thread: