From: "Raymond Whritenour" <>
Subject: [DNA] Reminder,DNA to be discussed on "Faces of America" Wednesday evening
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 19:32:00 -0500

I thought Gates played fast and loose with the DNA results. He's way too ready to call an "Asian" result, "Native American." The fact is, the 23andMe test distinguishes only European, Asian and African. He told Eva Longoria that she was 27% "Native American," when her test said 27% "Asian." And, if she and Yo-yo Ma had a common ancestor in the last two hundred years, or so--and, he is 100% "Asian," either some of Longoria's ancestry was definitely "Asian" (almost certainly Chinese); or, Yo-yo Ma had a "Native American" ancestor! (How likely is that?) Plus, many Europeans get trace amounts of "Asian" ancestry from various invasions and migrations from the East.

I also got the distinct impression that Louise Erdrich didn't want everyone to see just how "European" she is, genetically. Call me a cynic!

Another thing I noticed: Gates reported that Mehmet Oz and Mike Nichols were in the same haplogroup, and tied this in with the Biblical and Koranic idea that Jews and Muslims were both descended from Abraham (through Isaac and Ishmael, respectively); HOWEVER, that was incorrect! It's Jews and ARABS (NOT all Muslims) who are supposed to be descended from Abraham. AND, he didn't give the haplogroup! I'm betting it was a more "European" haplogroup--NOT a more Middle Eastern one.

Ray Whritenour