From: David Faux <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Danish "homeland" of Viking Era emigrants to EasternEngland and Normandy
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 11:04:39 -0800

Charlie,

I obtained the terminology here from one of the few reseaerchers in England
who is exploring this matter.

As to the 9th Century mercinary activities of Angles and Britons from
England to "put down" Saxon uprisings in the homeland, I have assembled what
seems to be known about the matter (including land grants in the ancient
Angle territory) and arrayed what can be said with some authority in my
manuscript http://davidkfaux.org/Angles_England_R_U152.pdf. A great deal
occurred in the "Dark Ages" which is to be found in only bits and pieces and
assembling what is available to "tell a story" is difficult and at time
places on on thin ice.

David K. Faux.

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 11:11 AM, Charles Hollenbeck <
> wrote:

> "ethnic cleansing"? Isn't this what was meant by "scourging"? What was
> the provocation, and when did it occur? And where the Frisians, who
> co-settled with the Jutes (especially on the Isle of Wight) left
> unmolested?
>
> I looked at a website yesterday (your's) that contained the data used to
> 'pin'
> your map. I see what you mean about R-U152 being "spotty in the south".
> But then, the sample from that area seems to be rather small.
>
> On a different note:
>

> > ...The evidence is consistent with the historical and archaeological data
> > indicating a complete en masse movement of the Angles of the southern
> tier
> > of Jutland to England.
> >
> Gregory of Tours states that, on the continent, the Angles were a sub-tribe
> of the
> Saxons. This was in a description of the composition of the Saxon
> population at
> the time of Charlemagne's wars against them. Apparently there was still a
> rump
> population of Angles hanging around as late as the Carolingian Period, and
> in their
> old territory. If these Angles had moved elsewhere, say into Saxon
> territory, the
> Germans would probably have used the term "Angeln" to refer to this new
> homeland
> instead of the old one in eastern Schleswig.

This thread: