From: "Ken Nordtvedt" <>
Subject: [DNA] Generations5
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 15:19:17 -0700

I uploaded a new excel spreadsheet for estimating clade and interclade ages --- Generations5 --- at http://knordtvedt.home.bresnan.net

Estimation of TMRCA for individual clades has been added to the coalescence age estimates. This involves using the modal haplotype for the sample set you put into the spreadsheet.
See down below line 532 where the modal haplotypes for clade a and clade b appear. You can override those haplotypes STR by STR if you believe the founding haplotypes are something else.

Having TMRCA (G) as well as coalescence age (G*) estimates for clades permits estimation of the statistical confidence interval (sigma) for the clade TMRCA estimates.

1SigmaG = SquareRoot { [G - G*]/M } is the relationship used.

Scrolling to the right in the top several lines of the spreadsheet gives the estimations for clade a and clade b --- Gcoal, G, and SigmaG

The interclade TMRCA is still down below where it has been, along with its CONSERTATIVE sigma.

You might call this a "beta" spreadsheet. I tested it out, but if you find any glitches let me know.

If an STR has equal haplotype number for repeats r and r' it picks just one of the values. I'm not sure what "rule" it uses. But you can override, as I said.

This thread: