From: Steven Bird <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] autosomal test samples
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 22:05:11 -0500

To expand on Nelda's comments a bit:

There is no known medical condition associated with the Y chromosome except SRY, which simply means that the offspring that should have been a boy instead develops as a girldue to a defective gene. Other than sterility, there are no other health consequences for a disfunctional SRY gene. Any MALE who is Y tested is, ipso facto, not afflicted with a defective SRY gene. The Y test is therefore of no medical concern as a result.

The mitochondrial tests could, in theory, reveal a potential for metabolic illness, but the vast majority of mtDNA haplogroups are neutral in this respect. The odds of a revelation of illness in this case is still very small.

Autosomal testing can and sometimes does reveal tendencies to disease.

HTH,

Steve