From: "Diana Gale Matthiesen" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] A question
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2010 13:28:43 -0500

The children would have less genetic diversity than they would have had if the
son had mated with a woman less closely related to him. Any kind of close
pairing has a higher probability of a deleterious recessive gene becoming
homozygous and thus being expressed, which is just one reason such closely
related matings are frowned upon.

Provided the grandchildren engaged in no such similar matings, the deleterious
effects would soon dissipate, and certainly there would be no long term effect
-- as in "down through the ages."

Diana

This thread: