From: steven perkins <>
Subject: [DNA] Article: Mitochondrial DNA analysis of ancient human bonesexcavated from Nukdo island, S.Korea.
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 23:40:16 -0500

MB Rep. 2010 Feb;43(2):133-9.
Full text :
http://www.bmbreports.org/fulltext/bmbreports/view.php?vol=43&page=133

Mitochondrial DNA analysis of ancient human bones excavated from Nukdo
island, S.Korea.

Kim AJ, Kim K, Choi JH, Choi EH, Jung YJ, Min NY, Lkhagvasuren G, Rhee
S, Kim JH, Noh M, Park AJ, Kim KY, Kang Y, Lee KH, Kim KC.

Medical & Bio-Material Research Center and Division of Life Sciences,
College of Natural Sciences, Kangwon National University, Chuncheon
200-701, Korea .

We have performed analyses using ancient DNA extracted from 25
excavated human bones, estimating around the 1(st) century B.C.
Ancient human bones were obtained from Nukdo Island, which is located
off of the Korean peninsula of East Asia. We made concerted efforts to
extract ancient DNA of high quality and to obtain reproducible PCR
products, as this was a primary consideration for this extensive kind
of undertaking. We performed PCR amplifications for several regions of
the mitochondrial DNA, and could determine mitochondrial haplogroups
for 21 ancient DNA samples. Genetic information from mitochondrial DNA
belonged to super-haplogroup M, haplogroup D or its sub-haplogroups
(D4 or D4b), which are distinctively found in East Asians, including
Koreans or Japanese. The dendrogram and principal component analysis
based on haplogroup frequencies revealed that the Nukdo population was
close to those of the East Asians and clearly distinguished from
populations shown in the other regions. Considering that Nukdo is
geologically isolated in the southern part of them Korean peninsula
and is a site of commercial importance with neighboring countries,
these results may reflect genetic continuity for the habitation and
migration of ethnic groups who had lived in a particular area in the
past. Therefore, we suggest that phylogenetic analyses of ancient DNA
have significant advantages for clarifying the origins and migrations
of ethnic groups, or human races. [BMB reports 2010; 43(2): 133-139].

PMID: 20193133 [PubMed - in process]

--
Steven C. Perkins
http://stevencperkins.com/