From: William Hurst <>
Subject: [DNA] FW: [ISOGG] Variability of mitochondrial DNA
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 20:31:25 -0500

Hi all,

I'm forwarding a couple of messages from the ISOGG list in this thread started by Debbie Kennett.

Bill Hurst

Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 08:28:37 -0500
Subject: RE: [ISOGG] Variability of mitochondrial DNA

Hi Debbie and all,

Here's another article on this study; one which actually mentions heteroplasmy, which is what the study is about: http://www.the-scientist.com/blog/display/57199/

I would rather have a copy of the article than either new story!

Bill Hurst

This article entitled "Mitochondrial DNA's Surprising Variability Could

Complicate Forensic and Genealogical Analyses" is highlighted in Dick

Eastman's latest newsletter:

http://www.healthnewsdigest.com/news/Family_Health_210/Mitochondrial_DNA_s_S

urprising_Variability_Could_Complicate_Forensic_and_Genealogical_Analyses.sh

tml

If the link breaks try this short link instead:

http://tinyurl.com/yadktpy

It would appear that mtDNA varies according to the type of tissue used. What

implication does this have for the genealogical application of our mtDNA

results?

Debbie Kennett

This thread: