From: rwalker <>
Subject: [DNA] Which to Choose 23andMe or FTDNA
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 16:17:04 -0800

We have a 98 year old cousin that we would like to have tested. Our
cousin was born in the same town in Italy as our father, she is in fact,
our father's first cousin on his father's side.

Both my brother and I have been tested at FTDNA for the yDNA and mtDNA.
I have done the FGS. We both have also tested with 23andMe.

If we accept the new 23andMe discount offer on their Ancestry edition,
and have her tested there, we will be able to compare and contrast her
genome with our own, and possibly get a clue as to who else in the
world our family might match. (We both have very few matches at 23andMe
Me, around 50 each including duplicates, with about 10 total having
accepted sharing. But this is on the Swiss, not Italian side of the family.)

Or, since I am able to order the new "Introductory offer" atDNA test
from FTDNA, should we have her tested there? Since we have already been
subsidizing DNA testing for some of our relatives, it will be quite a
while before we can afford to have ourselves tested at FTDNA for the
atDNA. And then there is the question of having her FGS done at FTDNA.
We just can't afford it.

Brother and I are willing to split the cost of one of the tests for
her. But which company would be the best choice?

R. Walker

This thread: