From: "Roberta Estes" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] 23andMe Is Running a Special on the Ancestry Edition
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 20:12:39 -0500

Specifically, I've had two that responded in the non-beta group, both
nonproductively, and I've sent more than 200 e-mails (5 at a time).
Actually, I'm still sending my 5 per day. One was cordial but disinterested
and one tried to convince me that we had to be related by his surname
because that is how DNA worked, regardless of what references I gave him
about autosomal DNA.

So far that's about 1% total, and 0% productive. I don't use the standard
verbiage, and I have varied it in case what I was saying was the problem.
I've included my personal e-mail, not included it, talked about that we are
cousins, not talked about that, talked about exchanging pedigree info to
find our common ancestor, not suggested that.....and nothing seems to make
any difference at all. They are either interested or not, and apparently
most are not at all interested.

I do agree though that testing at both locations will give you the most bang
for your buck, assuming that someone answers eventually, and it's
productive. I figure from time to time someone will test there, match and
be interested, all 3:) The odds are in my favor for that eventually
happening. Although I must say that it would make me insane were it a close
match and the individual wouldn't answer. My third cousin matches or closer
were all people from the beta group, although I have lots and lots of 4th
cousin matches and further out.

In my case, I was interested in the medical information as well as the
ancestry, but if I were only interested in the ancestry info, and I had to
choose one or the other, I would definitely select ftdna.

Roberta