Subject: Re: [DNA] 23andMe Is Running a Special on the Ancestry Edition
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 19:49:48 -0800

I think that this is a big part of the "contact" problem at 23andMe.
Like any networking website, every user has the option of choosing
whether or not they want their Inbox Messages (at the website)
delivered to the email address that they have connected to their user
account. The trend for years has been for people to choose not to
connect their user account mailbox with their email address,
obviously attempting to avoid the constant flood of emails that will
be generated by doing so. If you are involved in many networking
websites, & you opt in to message delivery to your email address, you
will certainly be flooded. If I were to accept messages to my email
address from all the sites that I monitor, the generated emails would
be 90-100/day (or more). So I rarely choose to connect my email
address to these website message services.

I'm sure there are many 23andMe customers who only log in to their
23andMe accounts several times in any given month, especially those
who tested primarily for medical/health info. Those folks will
accordingly answer requests to share weeks apart, & probably only if
there is something especially intriguing in the match. Unfortunately,
that is inevitable human nature. I have had many contacts at FTDNA
ignored, as have many others I'm sure. I think that many are dealing
with a certain degree of "burnout", having searched diligently for
many years, sometimes successfully, but more often not. Many, many
active genealogists also have very real time constraints.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. That's
no reason whatever to give up on 23andMe or FTDNA. We are
genealogists - we just keep pluggin' away & hope for the best. It's
all you can do. Good luck,
Pat

> oberta, do we know whether our 5 emails are really emails or
> whether they might simply be messages in their 'inbox'? If the
> latter, I'd suppose that many would never be noticed.
>
> They only call them 'contacts'.
>
> jim berry

This thread: