From: Robert Stafford <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Which to Choose 23andMe or FTDNA
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 22:35:18 -0600

It appears that they may have storage as an option, presumably, at added
cost. However, I do not remember seeing it when I tested. This is from their
FAQs:

"Once you purchase genotyping services from 23andMe, you will receive a
saliva sample collection kit and you will then send your sample directly to
our contracted laboratory. The laboratory will extract DNA from your saliva
sample and use it for the genotyping analysis. After the analysis is
complete and the data have been incorporated into our tools for you to use
on our website, unless you have opted to have your sample stored, all DNA
and saliva samples will be destroyed."

Bob Stafford

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 7:25 PM, Roberta Estes <>wrote:

> 23andMe does not bank your DNA (I don't believe), so you either order the
> test or not, but you can upgrade later to include the medical which likely
> means (I'm speculating here) that they run it initially and just reveal it
> to you if you pay the upgrade, since they don't bank the DNA. Family Tree
> does bank the DNA for 25 years, so you can order a test in order to get the
> DNA banked there and later order upgrades and further tests.

This thread: