From: Alan R <>
Subject: [DNA] Subject: Re: Blood of the Irish DVD
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 10:49:41 +0000 (GMT)

All I will say is I saw this series when it was screened in Ireland and while it was entertaining, it seems to have been made prior to the huge changes in our understanding of R1b in terms of dating, variance, phylogeny and SNPs like S116, L21 etc.  By the time it was screened these discoveries and alterations in ideas about dating had already taken place.  So, it very much heavily pushes the ice age western refugia/Basques angle.

I think any comments on Atlantic links that do not factor in the findings of L21 testing are of limited value.   L21 in my opinion has made huge inroads into the age old question of where the origins of the native Irish were.  The superabundance of L21 in Ireland, its strong presence in northern France and Atlantic Britain but near-absence in most of Iberia strongly points to the closest y-DNA relatives of the Irish being in northern/NW France and Atlantic Britain rather than Iberia.  Archaeology and basic geography also strongly support that conclusion.

Alan

This thread: