From: "Diana Gale Matthiesen" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] 23andMe Is Running a Special on the Ancestry Edition
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 07:05:41 -0500

I tested at 23andMe entirely for medical reasons. I have zero interest in
contacting cousins there, so I find this sense of "entitlement" to getting

I am *already* in contact with my cousins who are interested in their genealogy
because they're *already* online working on their paper genealogy. They're
messaging on the genealogy boards and mailing lists -- and probably have been
for years -- and they probably have a web site. If someone getting DNA tested
doesn't have an online "presence" in the e-genealogy community, they're probably
not into their genealogy, at all -- or, if they are, they're one of the
secretive kind whom you're not going to get anything out of, anyway (we all know
the type). I have zero interest in contacting cousins who are not already
"into" their genealogy.

I've been mtDNA tested, and my FGS is online at my web site and uploaded to
GenBank and mitoSearch (with a GEDCOM). My father has been both Y-DNA and mtDNA
tested, and his results are online at my web site and uploaded to Ysearch and
mitoSearch (with GEDCOMs). My paper genealogy, complete with all of its
documentation, is online at my (14,000+ page) web site to the full extent that I
know it. I have amply shared what I am willing and able to share.

When I got tested at 23andMe, I don't remember being told I had to share my
results, and I don't remember being promised that others would share theirs.
There was, in fact, no "Ancestry Edition" and no "Relative Finder" at 23andMe at
the time I was tested. IMO, if there's a "problem" here, it's the unwarranted
expectations on the part of some of the people now being tested there that
everyone else also did so for genealogical purposes. That's simply not the
case.

If you want to have a greater probability of having someone who's been atDNA
tested respond to you, get tested at FTDNA, not 23andMe. It's probably fair to
say virtually everyone tested at FTDNA is interested in their genealogy.

Diana

P.S. Yes, I know, there's a problem with people Y-DNA and mtDNA tested not
responding at FTDNA, either, but I'll start a new thread for that one.

This thread: