From: David Faux <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] 23andMe Is Running a Special on the Ancestry Edition
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 10:42:35 -0800

Diana,

I am in the same rather fortunate postion as you, thanks to 35 years of
effort, with the accumulation of an abundance of genealogical
documentation for virtually all lines, and being in contact with most
relatives to the 8th cousin level who are interested in genealogy. Most are
not so fortunate and simply had normal expectations that most of those
curious enough to take the test for medical reasons would be curious enough
to see if there are a few cousins out there. For most test takers it has
become evident that they it would likely not even enter their consciousness
to go this route, and if it did the whole process would be seen as a bother
since contacting (often very distant) cousins simply has no meaning (no
gain).

In my case all of the 3rd cousins and closer who appeared on 23andMe's radar
where those I had recruited. A few failed to inform me that they had taken
the test and it was months before we were in contact (and these are people
keen on genealogy). I have found not one single new relative via 23andMe.
Even if I shared say .09% with a "Fifth Cousin" such small fragments could
as well be a false positive (I have plenty of them) and the fact that we
share a paper trail could be a mere coincidence.

My approach has been to recruit members of key families in my genealogy
(e.g., those where I have multiple connections via cousin marriages), and
for example test out hypotheses suggested by circumstantial evidence (e.g.,
that the wife of one Mohawk Valley Palatine ancestor was Dorothy surname
Pickert and hence of African ancestry). I have 11 participants for the
latter study which is testing three very specific hypotheses. After the
notice of the discount for the Ancesry Edition came out I sent out e-mails
to the other 50 on my contact list to encourage them to sign up since we
have made "remarkable progress and think what we could discover if you
signed up too".

Bottom line, I expect nothing from the lists of 270 "cousins" and have only
contacted a dozen or so (two made contact) - not one has contacted me of
their own accord. The test is best used to provide info about known
cousins, not to expect long lost kin to contact you and want to share
information (rare as hens teeth although I have heard of a few success
stories).

David K. Faux.

This thread: