Subject: Re: [DNA] NPE questions - also - can or should I use DNA cardsample for Fami...
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 14:20:13 EST

If the NPE is as far back as suggested, the autosomal tests aren't going to
be very helpful.

In answer to your question about the storage cards, I'm reasonably
optimistic that much could be done, especially if you are talking about an FTA card.
If a sample is stored under favorable conditions, it can last indefinitely.
The DNA extraction would use micropunches, not the whole card. However,
these custom techniques would undoubtedly add a substantial cost compared to
automated processes handling multiple samples at a time.

Ann Turner

In a message dated 3/11/2010 10:26:00 AM Pacific Standard Time,
writes:

> The most compelling option, but no doubt the most uncertain and
> potentially most expensive, could be to try to test my deceased father's autosomal
> DNA in Family Finder. Just before he died, I sealed away a sample of his
> DNA on a DNA storage card. The card is now five years old. Does anyone know
> if it is likely enough DNA could be amplified out of such a card to work
> for SNP testing on a chip? And if I did this, could enough be amplified
> that some could be retained by FTDNA against other future test options, or
> would I have to assume that this would exhaust the DNA I have from him? On
> the flip side, is a card-stored sample going to be viable much longer anyway?

This thread: