From: "Diana Gale Matthiesen" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Re : Genographic Project
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 14:24:16 -0500

I totally agree, William. Over 1/3 of my Danish Demes members came from the
Genographic Project, and those amount to the majority of the native Danes.

Also, I think we need to recognize how much the public likes the NGS-GP web site
and, more importantly, how much the public trusts the National Geographic
Society. For most of us, the NGS, its magazine, and its TV shows have been a
"friend" since childhood. I've no doubt there are many tested there who would
never have been tested, anywhere, if the NGS hadn't "broken the ice" for them.

Those of us who are deeply into the technical side of testing need to appreciate
how totally unappealing most of our web sites appear, even to most genealogists,
much less the general public. *Somebody* has to get people interested, and that
role goes to the NGS-Genographic Project -- and Oprah and "Faces of America" and
"Who do you think you are?" and hopefully more such programs down the road...

Diana

This thread: