From: Tim Wilder <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] NPE questions
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 13:38:07 -0600

Another option, which does not involve any further expenditure, is to
take advantage of exiting external projects that use 23andMe data.

For example there is Jim McMillan's Family Inheritance project.
http://www.box.net/shared/u58sf7uji2 <http://www.box.net/shared/u58sf7uji2>;

There you can look for another type of matching: a large number of small
segments (below the length that 23andMe matches for relatives).

This might find a more distant member of a related family that what the
Relative Finder will identify.

If there is any reason to suspect Mennonite ancestry you could try them
as well.

On 3/11/2010 1:18 PM, wrote:
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 13:25:36 -0500
> Subject: [DNA] NPE questions - also - can or should I use DNA card
> sample for Family Finder?
>

> I suspect an NPE in my Y-DNA line due to no close in surname matches (McQuillen) and a recent 66/67 match with another surname (Sutherland). Last fall, I tested at 23andMe. I've got 147 "cousins" there including a predicted 2d, and have beenhoping some would turn out to be through my father's side and give me aclue where the NPE comes in. Have had the usual problems with lack of responses and contacts that can't or won't provide any genealogical information, though that has been improving recently a bit, and the current TV programs may perhaps stimulate additional interest there down the road.
>
> I had been thinking of having my mother(still living) do the same test there so that I'd know which of mymatches came from her side, and thus by elimination would know which were frommy dad's.
>
> Now that FTDNA is rolling out Family Finder, there are several alternative approaches to choose from in trying to solve the NPE with autosomal matching, and they can be combined in various ways. I can't afford to test myself and both parents in both places, and with the complicated variables involved, I'm not sure what approach makes the most sense. So I'm soliciting informed opinion about what others might do in this situation.
>
> One option is for me to just test my own DNA again using Family Finder. (I have a pre-rollout invitation I can use).
>
> Another option is to test my mother at 23andMe, which would permit me to tell which of my matches there (by elimination) were through my father. Or, I could wait to test her at FTDNA when Family Finder has its public rollout, but unless I had also tested at FTDNA, this might not be terribly if there is a great difference in the list of SNPs being tested.
>
> The most compelling option, but no doubt the most uncertain and potentially most expensive, could be to try to test my deceased father's autosomal DNA in Family Finder. Just before he died, I sealed away a sample of his DNA on a DNA storage card. The card is now five years old. Does anyone know if it is likely enough DNA could be amplified out of such a card to work for SNP testing on a chip? And if I did this, could enough be amplified that some could be retained by FTDNA against other future test options, or would I have to assume that this would exhaust the DNA I have from him? On the flip side, is a card-stored sample going to be viable much longer anyway?

> [...]

This thread: