From: "Alister John Marsh" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] 23andMe Is Running a Special on the Ancestry Edition.
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 09:54:41 +1300

Vince

Perhaps there is a suggestion that someone who is "disappointed", has
encountered a problem, and decided to sit back and accept a failure rather
than be proactive, and look for a solution.

If the emotional energy needed to be disappointed was channeled into looking
for a solution, a solution may not be found, but at least the dominant
feeling might be the endeavor to solve a problem, rather than the sense of
failure.

Perhaps we need to think about why potential relatives are uninterested in
family and family history, and perhaps there may be ways found to subtly
arouse their awareness of positive aspects of family, family history, and
genetic genealogy.

This may be on a one to one basis, or where the individuals are remaining
anonymous, then a more generalized attempt to make society more aware. The
popular TV shows which feature positive aspects of family, genetic genealogy
eg have a way of increasing interest.

As individuals it may seem like we can't influence the general awareness or
attitude of society. However, I am not sure that is the case. Even in a
small way, I have made approaches to individuals who I thought might engage
in actions which would promote positive aspects of family and genetic
genealogy. Most such approaches may have been unproductive, but a few at
least have produced positive results.

In my surname project, I have tried to "generally" promote the benefits of
genetic genealogy to persons of my surname, related or not. In starting
with a general approach, the pay back has been finding a number of long lost
lines of my own family. Had I chosen to be disappointed with my early
attempts focused narrowly on my own family, I would not have benefited from
the pay back I received down the line from my general approach.

Vince, you do a tremendous amount, more than most, to generally promote
positive aspects of genetic genealogy. If you still have some emotional
energy left to feel disappointed, then there might be just a tiny little bit
more emotional energy left in you to put into promoting positive aspects of
genetic genealogy. Keep up your good work.

John.