From: James Sims <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] expectations of ancestry contacts for 23AndMe customers
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 13:10:05 -0800 (PST)

All:

I'm a surname DNA project administrator using FTDNA, and a customer of 23AndMe. Like most people in the past, I became a 23AndMe customer for medical research reasons rather than ancestry.

I was contacted recently by two people wanting to share 23AndMe ancestry information, and after checking it out, it seemed OK to me to share at the "basic level". I thought finding out which parts of my genome were from which lines might be of interest to me, and maybe a good genealogy contact would come along that I had not yet located. I'm pretty sure I've not found all my 5th cousins yet.

I don't know about others, but I have NO expectations that anyone I contact via 23AndMe for ancestry sharing will share or be interested, because I know that most of us became customers for other reasons. If the customer base of 23AndMe should shift significantly in the future, then I might have a very small but non-zero expectation that some new customers are interested in ancestry and perhaps queries to them might provide more positive responses.

So far, only "distant" 23AndMe cousins have contacted me, people 23AndMe say I only share one DNA fragment with. I've offered contact to 2 of the 4 people that share 4 DNA fragments with me, including someone 23AndMe says is probably a 3rd cousin, but so far no response.

Was I irritated to be contacted? No. Am I irritated that my offers have not been accepted? No. Others may have different reactions.

Jim Sims

This thread: