From: Aaron Hill <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Genome work ushers in new genetic era
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 15:16:30 -0800

>From The New York Times article:

"Besides identifying disease genes, one team, in Seattle, was able to make
the first direct estimate of the number of mutations, or changes in DNA,
that are passed on from parent to child. They calculate that of the three
billion units in the human genome, 60 per generation are changed by random
mutation — considerably less than previously thought."

"[C]ommon diseases, surprisingly, are caused by rare, not common, mutations.
In the last few months, researchers have begun to conclude that a new
approach is needed, one based on decoding the entire genome of patients."

"The Seattle team believes whole-genome sequencing can be applied to the
study of the common multigene diseases and plans to sequence more than 100
genomes next year, starting with multigenerational families."

Complete Genomics of Mountain View, Calif., has developed a new DNA
sequencing method. Clifford Reid, the chief executive, "said that the
company was scaling up to sequence 500 genomes a month and that for large
projects the price per genome would soon drop below $10,000. 'We are on our
way to the $5,000 genome,' he said."

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 8:59 PM, Jonathan Day <> wrote:

> Ok, I m officially confused. (Read: in my normal state of mind.) I ve seen
> claims that there were an average of 200 mutations per chromosome, which
> would make it impossible for there to be 30 mutations per parent unless the
> research I saw involved very unusual family dynamics. Or was wrong, or I m
> not understanding this new finding. Anyone got a better understanding of the
> data?
>
> On Wed Mar 10th, 2010 7:06 PM PST Aaron Hill wrote:
>
> >Two research teams have independently decoded the entire genome of
> patients
> >to find the exact genetic cause of their diseases. The approach may offer
> >new start in the so far disappointing effort to identify the genetic roots
> >of major killers like heart disease, diabetes and Alzheimer’s.
> >
> >http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/11/health/research/11gene.html

This thread: