From: "Alister John Marsh" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Genome work ushers in new genetic era- how can we minenew data?
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 13:55:30 +1300

Complete Genomics of Mountain View, Calif., has developed a new DNA
sequencing method. Clifford Reid, the chief executive, "said that the
company was scaling up to sequence 500 genomes a month and that for large
projects the price per genome would soon drop below $10,000. 'We are on our
way to the $5,000 genome,' he said."
<<<<<<<

What price would a genome need to fall to, to enable R1bs on the list to be
able to jointly fund a test of someone on this list? Joint funding on WTY
tests seemed to work well. Would $5,000 be achievable? Or $2,000?

Some large groups like McDonalds, or Irish IIIs, or M222s, should be able to
fund something for their areas of interest.

Alternatively, if various organizations are scaling up to 500 genomes a
month, could we offer to donate a nominal sum to the research institutions
if they could get tested persons to release to us the Y-DNA parts of their
results? Imagine how many R1b (and other haplogroup) SNPs are sitting
waiting to be extracted from 500 genomes a month!!!!

If there was an incentive for research groups to publish new Y SNPs, things
might move quicker. How can we get access to this huge pool of untapped
Y-DNA data?

John.

This thread: