Subject: Re: [DNA] Genome work ushers in new genetic era- how can we minenewdata?
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 21:17:06 -0800

The potential $5,000 genome quote (perhaps next year??) was
specifically in the context of large research bulk orders (probably
meaning 100+ genomes per batch), & I'm sure meaning from a single
source of payment. In that context, for example, if you contemplated
a research project involving 200 genomes, & you had a grant for a
million dollars, bingo, they might sign a contract with you for the
200 genomes. Then again, they would probably prefer to sign a
contract for 200 genomes at 1.25 milllion. They have a big investment
to recoup, so I'm sure they are open to negotiated pricing. I'm
equally certain they don't intend to open this up to a retail market,
one or several tests at a time.

I hope that nobody is missing the primary message of this news. It
appears that genome wide association studies are coming to the
inevitable end of their utility. Questions about the basic premises
behind genome wide association studies have been growing steadily,
even as the volume of studies steadily increased. I think we are
seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, & the beginning of a new
era in genomics.

This thread: