From: Marleen Van Horne <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] NPE questions - also - can or should I use DNA cardsample for Family Finder?
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 07:44:41 -0800

I have been thinking about your question, and there is a possibility you
do not have an NPE, at all.

I think there is a possibility you have two branches of the same family
with different surnames. Sutherland is the northern most county in
Scotland. Could your McQuillens by any chance have originated there?
The Sutherland line could have originally been McQuillens of Sutherland,
and the name got shortened to just Sutherland. This could have happened
centuries ago, at which time naming conventions were not standardized.

In one of my ancestral families, a child, born at sea during a storm was
named Storm van der See. His family name was actually Bradt, but all of
his descendants are Vandersee.

Marleen Van Horne

This thread: