From: CeCe Moore <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Question about matches on Chromo #7 at 23andme RF
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 09:34:53 -0800

Thanks for the responses. I have asked for clarification on the way 23andme is reporting the pair of chromosomes a few times and haven't gotten any answers. So, am I correct in my understanding that 23andme is not distinguishing between the pair of chromosomes in their reporting? Wouldn't it make more sense to report them in a way that differentiates between them - like Chr #1A and Chr #1B? It is going to make it very difficult to triangulate the results to determine from which ancestral line groups of matches descend. For example, I have a spreadsheet where I enter all of my matches. I have been assuming (apparently incorrectly) that if the match falls on the same chromosome in the same or overlapping spot, then we all share a common ancestor. If all the matches are at 23andme, I guess the answer is to determine if they all match each other, however, I was hoping to be able to enter RF and FF matches on this spreadsheet in the future and "see" matches between the two companies.
Am I understanding this correctly or am I missing something?
Thanks again for the help,
CeCe

> Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 11:55:56 -0500
> Subject: Re: [DNA] Question about matches on Chromo #7 at 23andme RF
>
> No-calls are ignored, so that is not a problem. Your first explanation is
> the more likely one, and could perhaps be resolved by seeing if A and B and C
> all match each other.
>
> Ann Turner

This thread: