From: Robert Stafford <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] NPE questions - also - can or should I use DNA cardsample for Family Finder?
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 11:59:28 -0600

The money would be better spent on Y-DNA testing of documented McQuillen
cousins, if you can find any to test. Ideally, you would want to test your
most remote documented cousin, but a closer cousin might answer the
question. If you are a near match, you will know that any NPE occurred prior
to your common ancestor and would need to test an earlier documented branch,
if any. If you mismatch you will need to test a descendant of a third son,
since an NPE could have occurred in either line. (A closer cousin might
work, but the match has to be between descendants of different sons.)

If you find a match in your genealogical time frame you can then pin down
the generation by testing other branches. This would make the research
manageable, although you probably cannot identify a particular person unless
the NPE was fairly recent.

Bob Stafford

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 12:25 PM, <> wrote:

> I suspect an NPE in my Y-DNA line due to no close in surname matches
> (McQuillen) and a recent 66/67 match with another surname (Sutherland).
> Last fall, I tested at 23andMe. I've got 147 "cousins" there including a
> predicted 2d, and have beenhoping some would turn out to be through my
> father's side and give me aclue where the NPE comes in. Have had the usual
> problems with lack of responses and contacts that can't or won't provide any
> genealogical information, though that has been improving recently a bit, and
> the current TV programs may perhaps stimulate additional interest there down
> the road.

This thread: