From: CeCe Moore <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] phasing [was Re: Question about matches on Chromo #7 at23andme RF)
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 10:29:48 -0800

Thank you so much, Ann, for clarifying something I have been struggling with for quite awhile! I can't test my dad at 23andme because he is deceased, but I do have his sample at FTDNA and am debating testing him with Family Finder. That was partially why I was hoping to be able to compare the data from each company on the same spreadsheet in the future.

> If you have tested both parents, you can figure out quite a bit of your two
> "haplotypes" (the alleles occurring on one copy of the chromosome). This is
> called "phasing."
>
> I wrote a 'Satiable Curiosity column about phasing, which has some examples
> about the complexity of this task:
>
> http://www.jogg.info/42/files/turner.pdf
>
> This website has some diagrams and tools:
>

> http://www.chromosomechronicles.com/2009/09/30/use-family-snp-data-to-phase-your-own-genome/
>
> Ann Turner

This thread: