From: "RICHARD KENYON" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Cleft Chin genetic location
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 18:37:09 -0800

I looked in a number recently published books on genetics and molecular biology, plus a couple medical books--and came up empty-handed. I found more in the Wikipedia under "cleft chin" than anywhere else. In that short article was the following link which you might check out:

http://www.thetech.org/genetics/ask.php?id=47<http://www.thetech.org/genetics/ask.php?id=47>;

Bottom line: it seems that the phenotype has not been tied down to a particular gene (or genes). The variable penetrance apparently can indicate that more than one gene is involved and/or environmental factors during pregnancy might be involved. Perhaps the GWAS project will eventually help in pinpointing the gene(s) and their loci.
There's others, I'm sure, more qualified to answer your questions, but the above is the best I can do. (The cause of dimpled checks also seems unclear).

Richard R. Kenyon ("Dick")