From: "Sean M. Silver" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Ethnic core, social class structure and DNA
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 09:24:43 -0500

I do agree that when investigating either ancient origins of a people or
recent genealogical links, there is no genetic replacement for historical
research. It is honestly paramount to my own projects, else I would never
have been able to start forming thesis when faced with surprising data. I
believe that DNA has always been seen as an integral tool for genealogical
and anthropological research, but it can't be the only tool. That's where
the creativity comes in to be able to tie in data into cohesive hypothesis.

With all the "bad press" regarding genetic research over the past several
years, having new positive lights such as the television show "Who Do You
Think You Are" and stars showing up on Oprah regarding this historic and
genetic journal could start to bring genetic genealogy into the public
consciousness and spark interest. Only then will we possibly begin to see
the larger populations, or distinct populations such as nobility, begin to
test, as well as share their results. After all, even though we've come a
long way, genetic genealogy as a science is still in its relative infancy in
terms of where it can go.

The only thing I would caution is using historical or genetic results as an
absolute, such as the early notion that R1b came exclusively from the
Iberian peninsula during the Last Glacial Maxim. This assertion has made
such efforts of bringing to light other R1b (i.e. What is commonly referred
to as ht35), which has no relation to the Western Modal for more than ten
thousand years and which likely was never in Europe, an uphill battle of
legitimacy. Only recently has the community began to embrace this notion
with the support of Dr. Michael Hammer and others. We have to be pragmatic
and scrutinize theories, but we also have to keep an open mind.

Message: 6