From: "Sandy Paterson" <>
Subject: [DNA] FW: Genome work ushers in new genetic era- howcan we mine new data?
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 14:33:28 -0000

Thanks Vince

Yes, you seem to have sensed what I'm getting at.

It seems to me that there is a huge potential for full genome sequencing to
provide answers to historical questions. I suppose that's just stating the
obvious. But further, it seems to me that it would be useful (once testing
costs have fallen enough) to carefully select pairs of people to test, using
the criterion that the analysis should have the potential to clarify
specific historical questions.

Whereas I have some knowledge of Y-STR analysis, my understanding of SNP's
is vague, and I'm trying to get a handle on what may lie ahead in the
context of full genome analysis.

Sandy