From: "Ken Nordtvedt" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] FW: Genome work ushers in new genetic era-howcan we mine new data?
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 07:45:40 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sandy Paterson" <>

> It seems to me that there is a huge potential for full genome sequencing
> provide answers to historical questions.
>
> Whereas I have some knowledge of Y-STR analysis, my understanding of SNP's
> is vague, and I'm trying to get a handle on what may lie ahead in the
> context of full genome analysis.

Full sequencing of just the y chromosome for enough males can essentially
map out the entire human y tree, and each of us males can have a branch
routing worked out back to genetic Adam 70,000 years ago or so. It will not
be as complicated as you might imagine. While it may be about 2300
generations long, what will personalize the branch routing will be defined
by only about 50 or less forks in the route taken. I remember memorizing
the 50 state capitols as a kid; my grandsons could conceivably memorize and
recite a little story about their 50 steps back to genetic Adam, i.e. the
MRCA of all mankind's males.

Full sequencing of the other chromosomes gives us more complex information
because those chromosomes are being cut up into a few pieces and reassembled
each generation from both parents' contributions, so they today provide us
with a complex record of all our ancestral lines. But that information can
be disentangled and "read" to a certain degree.

This thread: