From: "Lancaster-Boon" <>
Subject: [DNA] Are the testing companies being guided to invest in the,wrong things for genealogy?
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 17:31:22 +0100

Hi

I think what you say below is a understanding going around. As an admin I've
been getting lots of questions about these things, and I've seen a few
examples.

Generally speaking, with autosomal testing you are going to end up matching
most people with your ethnic background by roughly the same amount, with a
slight margin up or down, and yes this can give good leads. If you are from
a relatively closed ethnic background then this might even lead to very
useful results, but basically you are talking about probabilities which then
need to be backed up witb a paper trail.

The only exception is perhaps if you find an extremely close relative that
you did not know about, but this is not possible for most people. (If you
are an adoptee I can imagine the interest.)

With Y DNA used by a careful project that has good on-going discussions you
can sometimes sometimes even say that person A's pedigree fits at position X
in person B's pedigree without any strong paper work to add to the DNA
evidence.

Best Regards
Andrew

-----
From: tewilder <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Are the testing companies being guided to invest in
the,wrong things for genealogy?

For now, the only type of testing that is doing or has done me any good
for genealogical purposes is autosomal testing at 23andMe.

The reason is simple. It is the only testing that uncovers information
that is so widely shared that it is even shared by other people who are
also doing testing and might be and sometimes are related to me in a
genealogical way.

This thread: