From: "Lancaster-Boon" <>
Subject: [DNA] Are the testing companies being guided to invest in thewrongthings for genealogy?
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 17:36:05 +0100

I think this is a perfect case where autosomal DNA testing is quite unlikely
to help at all.

If you have close Y DNA matches then you already know the line you connect
to those cousins on: it is your male line.

A match in autosomal DNA will never give such clear information about which
line in your family trees connects two people.

There are currently 120 STR markers available from FT DNA, although we
rarely hear people talk about. This is a fantastic but under-used resource
for genealogy.

Best Regards
Andrew

---
From: Russ _ <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Are the testing companies being guided to invest in
thewrong things for genealogy?

I've got distant cousins for whom we have not found a common ancestor, but
with whom we are all exact 67 marker matches. Would the 23andMe more likley
be able to parcel our groups better with its SNP testing than paying for
more STR markers?

This thread: