From: Sean Silver <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Age of R1b Cohan
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 12:02:32 -0500

Thanks Sam!

If 2650 is a roughly accurate measure of the genetic distance between both clustered Cohane groups, this would put them around the time of the Babylonian exile, and when the Persians captured Babylon and allowed the first return to Jerusalem. It was also around the time of the building of the second temple.

TMCRA does lose its accuracy in anthropological terms, but Sam stated that the computations could be 15%-20% off, which would still predate the Diaspora.

This is also only a computation of the R1b Cohane line (all ht35), and doesn't take into account the other ht35 R1bs in the R1b Jewish project. These other R1bs will have a greater genetic distance as the closest matches to the Cohanim are all in the R1b Cohane project.

> Message: 5
> Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 08:17:03 -0800
> From: SVass <>
> Subject: [DNA] Age of R1b Cohane
> Cc: Sean Silver <>

> L23+ and L21-
> I went to http://www.familytreedna.com/public/R1bCohane/default.aspx?section=yresults
> and copied the two clusters, A and B, to a spreadsheet.
> I then computed coalescence ages for each and for the combination using 37 markers.
> My results are as follows:
> A 23 generations (690 years)
> B 37 generations (1105 years)
> A&B 88 generations (2650 years)
>
> Note that the united group predates the Romans.
>
> Sam Vass

This thread: