From: "Diana Gale Matthiesen" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Who Do You Think You Are? --- Emmitt Smith Episode
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 13:17:56 -0500

I don't see that they've told us enough, in either episode, to really evaluate
their work, either with regard to paper genealogy or genetic genealogy. In both
episodes, I had little alarm bells ringing at quite a few statements seemingly
assumed as "proven," that I would call only "possible" or, at best, "probable."

For example, to assert that Emmitt descends from Samuel PURYEAR, his ancestor's
white owner, is only a possibility. Yes, many male slave owners impregnated
their female slaves, but they didn't all do so; and many a slave adopted their
owner's surname simply for want of any other name, not out of parentage.

I think we need to take these programs for what they are: infomercials for
Ancestry-DNA.

If these programs stimulate a greater public interest in doing genealogy, I have
to be delighted at the prospect. I mean, what if doing your genealogy became a
*fad*? Hallelujah!

Some of us will, of course, be unhappy at the prospect of these new adherents
being DNA tested at Ancestry.

Diana

This thread: