From: David Faux <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Are the testing companies investing in the wrongthingsfor genealogy
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 11:42:33 -0800

There is a major difference in goals between many Americans and many from
the British Isles.

Unless adopted or with a known NPE, most from say England already know their
English roots (to a sufficient degree) and have no "Pond" to cross. There
may be no perceived need to upload haplotype results to a public database
(often obtained with the motivation of finding out whether they are say
Anglo-Saxon in the male line). Much of the work goes on within private
family groups and I know from experience that the focus is on the goals of
the research, not on ensuring that the public has access to it.

Stereotypes of course don't always work. My grandfather was born in Norwich
England. I had no trouble in convincing my 3rd to 8th cousins in England to
test (to ensure that our paper trails were accurate and just to add more
information to what we knew of the family), but jumped through flaming hoops
to get any one of my Dad's second cousins in the USA who would be willing to
test - even though I would be paying the whole shot.

I actually don't recall mentioning to my distant cousins that they should
upload to Ybase or Ysearch - there was no need - although I should have done
it in case someone else might be helped by this simple gesture. It is the
same with the 120 of so of my Shetland Island participants. Very few reside
in North America. Very few have uploaded their data to Ysearch. I paid for
quite a few of the tests, and would have to be the contact person, and
frankly I receive more e-mails on a daily basis than I can adequately handle
- let alone those that may require detailed responses. Rather a shame that
things evolved this way, but I did not embark upon any of this out of
motives of charity - I simply wanted answers to questions, and many of these
were more anthropological than genealogical.

The point is that some to many of those residing in Britain look at this
hobby through a different lens, and expecting them to behave "like
Americans" with respect to this hobby is not realistic - the goals and
expectations are often very different. Perhaps a gentle reminder that "it
could potentially be ever so helpful to others if you would be so kind as to
upload your information to a public database" would be a good soft sell. I
need to listen to my own words since I sit on a lot of British data that is
found only on my websites or in my files - if somehow I could learn better
time management skills (the root of the problem :-)

David K. Faux.

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 10:55 AM, <> wrote:

> Subject: [DNA] Are the testing companies investing in the wrong
> thingsfor genealogy
> To: <>
>
> Lindsay
>
> I have very good news for you. There has been a boom in interest in
> genealogy in the UK, due to a series called "Who do you think you are?"
> which now has an American version. Full credit to FT DNA for jumping on
> that
> important band wagon. I might just be dreaming, but I believe I have felt
> some opening up of attitudes in the UK. Keep trying!
>
> Best Regards
> Andrew
>
> ******************************
>
> I'm watching the NBC series and knew about the original series on the BBC;
> however, I've yet to see any good effects of the latter in my Britton
> project. Since genetic genealogy began in the UK, one would think there'd
> be
> more local interest in it, but databases are full of results from
> Americans
> and have relatively few results from Britain and other countries. I think
> cost is a factor--also the number of big projects offering free testing in
> the UK and the unfavourable publicity generated by the use of DNA
> databases to solve crimes. Most of the work being done in Britain is of
> little
> use to genealogists either because the databases aren't readily available
> or
> because haplotypes aren't identified by surname.
>
> Lindsey

This thread: