From: "Jim Bullock" <>
Subject: [DNA] English Genealogists
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 19:17:47 -0700

>> Unless adopted or with a known NPE, most from say England already know
their English roots (to a sufficient degree) and have no "Pond" to cross.
<<
-----------------------

The English may not have a "pond" to cross, but how many would know where
their ancestors were 500 years ago. In checking for Bullocks in England I
know that there were many separate origins for the surname, and that is
supported by DNA studies. In the 1500s I can find Bullocks in every part of
England. Some are R1b, others I1a, and still others G2.

I doubt that the Bullocks in England today can safely assume that their
ancestors have been in the same area of England for the last 500 years.
Unless they've been doing some serious genealogical research, they probably
don't know their origins. I think they would benefit as much from DNA
studies as I would.

Jim B.

This thread: