From: "Terry Barton" <>
Subject: [DNA] Are the testing companies being guided to invest in the wrongthings for Genealogy?
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 23:21:24 -0500

Hi John. I could live with your two new panels concept - one fast and one
slow. It's a simpler solution for FTDNA to implement than what I proposed.
As many initiatives as FTDNA have going, more y-str needs to be something
they can do without using all of their focus.

I agree that rationalizing advanced markers into panels, offering them in
the standard section, and including them in TiP would increase advanced
marker sales.

I would hope to see some "fast" markers that aren't already tested at FTDNA
- as I've already tried the "DNA Fingerprint" ones and they weren't fast for
us. And - unless "Family Finder" solves our branching challenges - I am
still thinking that we will ultimately need "200" markers to reconstruct
families where paper trails don't exist.

Hi Vince. Thanks for the hint about Dashboard delivering the advanced
markers in the FTDNA Results report. I just ran the results generator and
got most of the results from our DNA Fingerprint testing. Excluding 385k, I
count as many as 33 markers currently being reported beyond the 67 markers.
And - the report isn't including a number of other markers we have tested at
FTDNA - so it should be even more.

Best Regards,
Terry Barton

WorldFamilies.net