From: Jonathan Day <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Are the testing companies being guided to invest inthewrong things for genealogy?.
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 01:16:43 -0800 (PST)

I agree organization is the key but the spreadsheet is already being sorted row-wise and column-wise by some data probably somewhere else in the database. It would not take a person long to add the means to pick how the data is sorted. (Half hour, tops, to write the code. Same again to import mutation rates and other common criteria.)

As for how well a given test sells, the market won t buy what the market doesn t see. The advanced tests are poorly described, poorly promoted and poorly handled by ysearch (and mtsearch for full mtdna results). If nobody knows there is more data to be had, they won t obtain it. FTDNA are ultimately responsible there.

Finally, the results take too long to generate on ftdna and ysearch, often producing error messages and/or truncated tables. This is a product of badly-written database searches on a badly-optimized (or very efficiently pesimized) database, probably running on a Windows server from the stone age. It would take someone of my experience a week or two to bring up to the speed people expect of websites. Ideally, it would even be as fast as a software engineer could produce and still respect themselves in the morning.