From: William Hurst <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Full genome test
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 11:22:09 -0400

Hi Jennifer and James and all,

When I got my FGS results back in 2006 I had four coding-region mutations which no other K1c2 had. Ann Turner even wrote me up in JoGG. Now we have three others in the K Project with one of the mutations and one person with a second one. Two to go. I've said this before and I'll say it again: We are much closer to the beginning of the use of mtDNA than the end.

If you have mtDNA HVR results, here are some steps you can take:

1. Join your mtDNA haplogroup project.

2. Take the FGS (HVR1toMega or HVR2toMega) test. (Or start with the mtFullSequence test.)

3. Make sure you check the box on your personal page so your administrator can see your coding-region results.

4. Reply to the FTDNA results notification e-mail with AGREE so your results
can be used to develop your haplogroup's phylogenetic tree.

5. If you have unusual coding-region mutations, consider getting a report from Ann Turner.

6. Upload your results anonymously to the federal GenBank database following Ian Logan's instructions.

7. Be patient.

Bill Hurst

> Hi James,
> An FGS would be fascinating but until you have an HVR 1 and 2 match outside of those immediate family members you won't find any.
> On the other hand, if you do a full genome scan now, it'll be the last mt-DNA you will need and then you can just sit back and wait for someone new to test.
> JMO,
> Jennifer

This thread: