Subject: Re: [DNA] English genealogy
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 15:01:07 EDT

One reason Brits do not want to participate is because they are afraid DNA
testing is going to disprove their lineage. I offered to pay for a DNA
test for a Philipps line that I would especially like to identify and got
this response yesterday:

*********************

Yes, the letter you quoted certainly explains why those with old pedigrees
they like are unwilling to be tested. I don't know what percentage falls
into this category, probably small, but enough to make a big difference when
one wants to test a particular line.

I know of a similar case (in the US) in one branch of my Harrison family.

I can't help thinking that an even number of Britons have grave concerns
about privacy. I know one Englishman who runs a private project at Family
Tree, probably for this reason. At one point, I persuaded him to add his
haplotype to Y-search, which he did,then suddenly removed it after several
months.

While privacy is less of an issue in the US, another of my Harrison
cousins refused my offer of a free test for that reason.

If fear of either sort is the underlying cause for the reluctance
exhibited in the UK, then the best way to get a positive response might be to
publish the family haplotype in places where British genealogists are likely to
see it, along with a discussion of the information testing has provided and
how that information might be used to trace the family history back many
more generations.

I tend to believe that there are plenty of people on both sides of the
Atlantic who don't understand what DNA testing can do for them and, because of
that ignorance, also have overblown fears of what it might do to them.
While this approach may not help with the problem you described, it could
influence some who would never order a test or look at a database otherwise.

Lindsey

This thread: