Subject: Re: [DNA] English genealogy
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 07:27:19 +1100

Hi Everyone
I agree totaly, I have also had some strange reactions to DNA results.
The one that is most prominent is the Medley family of Maryland,somewhere down the track they adopted my Medley Family from Elland in Yorkshire.On the information provided it seemed ok, that was until myself and an extremely distant relation who still used the original spelling of the name Methley decided to have our DNA tested. The result was we were a extremely good match having a common ancestor about 700 years ago (exactly what we expected) HOWEVER or Haplogroup was totaly different to those of the Maryland Medleys, making it impossible for them to be from our Elland Medleys.
Now it gets interesting, despite approaches to the Maryland Medleys we have had no response,in fact an approach made to a prominent Medley family member in Kentucky was dissmissed out of hand.
It seems that it is more important for some to have a tree going back to the middle ages than to have the truth!
Steve

This thread: