From: (John Chandler)
Subject: Re: [DNA] Ancestry.com to FTDNA
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 17:59:21 -0400

Stella wrote:
> We have someone interested in joining our PLATT group who has been tested
> with Ancestry.com. I have a post into FTDNA but have not heard from them.
> Can anyone tell me if the Ancestry markers can be transferred into FTDNA, and
> how do they equate? Thanks

FTDNA offers a "conversion test" for customers of other labs. The fee
is reduced, but I'm pretty sure the test is the same thing as an
ordinary 37-marker test of a new customer. The only requirement is
that the customer send in the test results from the other lab, thus
proving that he qualifies for the special deal. There is no other
way of transferring into FTDNA. On the other hand, many projects
that are mostly FTDNA simply accept members who have tested elsewhere
and analyze all the results together after correcting for the known
differences in reporting conventions between the labs. These known
differences change over time, and the one place that has been the
most consistently up-to-date in describing the inter-lab comparisons
is the SMGF web site, www.smgf.org.

John Chandler

This thread: