From: Robert Stafford <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Ancestry.com to FTDNA
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 20:17:26 -0500

FTDNA does not allow you to enter results from other companies.

At first, you might try copying your data onto a spreadsheet and add his
results. I have largely used a spreadsheet, rather than the company site, so
I can move and regroup results. (For FTDNA's public site, Control A on the
data, copy with right click, paste to Excel (or other) and select
destination formatting from the bug.) You can then set up groups with
ancestral (or modals) and highlight the differences in yellow.

The biggest advantage of a spreadsheet or your own site is the increased
flexibility. You can incorporate Ancestry, SMGF and other company results.
SMGF allows people to post results to surname projects, as long as they
credit the source. (See their terms of use.) You don't really need to know
who the person is, since the pedigree is there.

Conversion at FTDNA would be a waste of money at this point. However, if he
later decides to convert, FTDNA has this promo, but I am not sure if it is
still current:

http://www.familytreedna.com/PDF/PROMO_GAP.pdf

Bob Stafford