From: Steven Bird <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Percentages of males and females who reproduce -compare to the "one third rule"
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 21:35:44 -0400

Hi Ken,

OK, forgetting the "1/3" rule, are you saying that the genetic diversity of a given population (as measured by the variance) is not reduced by things such as founder's effects, where one male sires many descendant offspring (such as the Ui Neill)? If so, then you are also saying (and please correct me if I am mistaken) that population history is irrelevant when calculating a coalescent? That would suggest that the germ line mutation rate is in fact correct for estimating the time to the coalescent and there is no need to be concerned about reduced diversity due to founder's effects. This is assuming of course that the germ line rate is in fact correctly estimated for each locus of the Y.

This is helpful, thanks for your response.

Steve