From: David Faux <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] English genealogy
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 19:57:15 -0700

Tom,

Please understand that I get extremely frustrated in constantly "defending
myself" and in being "misinterpreted". The last first. I have never ever
said that U152 is THE LaTene - Hallstatt marker, only that it is one of them
and that the geographical distribution of U152 as seen on my Google maps
fits perfectly within but not beyond the boundaries shown for the Celtic
world on the Continent in the most detailed Celtic atlas yet produced (Koch,
2007). This is an easily verifyable fact and to not see the association or
linkage here surely requires wearing blinders.

Never has establishing testable hypotheses, which are based upon data from
other fields of study, gone out of vogue in science - although when I do it
somehow I am just trying to find a way to verify what I expect. In a way
that is entirely correct - but if found to be in error then the only option
is to seek out another hypothesis that is in accord with available data.
All researchers make observations and deductions and if - then statements.
If the end product is something that can be tested empirically then this is
entirely within the purview of science. I will never understand why some
people see what I do as self serving - most of us spend most of our time
researching our own haplogroups - why wouldn't we?

Anyway, back to the point of all this. People should be encouraged not
discouraged from establishing hypotheses about haplogroups (time of origin,
point of origin, present distribution versus probable past distribution,
association with historic tribes, and so on). This is what will press the
buttons of many on the Continent, not the search for STR matches which has
little to no meaning unless it is going to tell someone something about
their early history.

No one makes a leap forward or for that matter gets anywhere by sitting on
one's hands - set out reasonable hypotheses that can either be refuted or
supported and if the former then keep plugging away by coming up with
something else that fits known data. This fires up enthusiasm among Britons
and I would guess many others with inquiring minds who want to know, and are
willing to tolerate errors enroute to feretting out the truth.

I guess being two generations removed from England makes me a hybrid in how
the genetic genealogy world is seen. My surname is common in Belize among
those who are clearly of African heritage. Some day I hope to find out if
this group is related to me in the Y line - a far cry from the Cimbri
research - but the pathways that genetic genealogy can take one are
numerous, and the questions one can ask and answer are legion. Perhaps some
day soon people on both sides of the Pond will see things in much the same
way. For the moment I seem to be the only one keen to learn about a
possible Belize connection.

David K. Faux.