From: Steven Bird <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Clades, Definitions, Discoveries, FTDNA
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 00:01:48 -0400

Couple of comments:

1 X 10-9 is not "my number"; it is quoted from Hartwell "Genetics"; McGraw-Hill (2008), p. 396, ISBN #9780072848464. That is the mutation rate for the entire genome, which consists of 3 billion base pairs. If every male on the planet had a child at the same time, then your argument would hold. However, half of the offspring would be girls. And of course, not all of the boys will have offspring.

Sometimes your tone suggests that you think that I make this stuff up. Believe me, I am always careful about citing sources.

Steve