From: Angela Cone <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] The tree house definition (was: Clades, Definitions,Discoveries, FTDNA)
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 17:35:10 +1300

Ken: - the point is that different people are talking about different
things.

If you are speaking in different languages that just happen to have the same
words, then of course people aren't going to agree. It's just like the
conversations my mother and my deaf father have. Often both think the other
has completely gone insane, - whereas in reality they are having totally
different conversations. (he can't hear half of what's said and just guesses
what's been said, often getting it very wrong)

If different people are talking about totally different things when using
the same words,.. then people aren't going to agree - not because people are
missing the point, or someone is right and someone is wrong,.. just because
effectively two people are using the same language for different concepts.
The words might be the same, but the meaning is different.

We need definitions to make sure that people are talking about the same
thing.

The point is that different people are "talking in different languages"